Monday, December 5, 2011

I Am Radley

RIP Radley

200? to 2011

DSC_0173

Radley survived Hurricane Katrina and cancer, but in the end the one-two punch of Cushing's Disease and Diabetes was too much for him.


Radley died Sunday morning from an adverse reaction to his Cushing's medication and a severe diabetic episode.

IMG_0073


He rallied briefly around 5 am, allowing Jamie and me to spend an hour with him.

He was his old self. Talking to us and giving us kisses.

But by the end of the hour he was beginning to get wobbly again.

He laid down beside us, resting his head on Jamie's leg and in my hands.

DSC_0154

Within minutes, he was gone.



I first saw Radley on the web. He'd survived Hurricane Katrina and needed someone to adopt him.

Something about him spoke to me.

Radley_2

S7301599

After six years, something about him still speaks to me.



RADLEY'S FAVORITE PASTIMES


Being Pet

IMG_0070


Sleeping

S7301164


Eating

Radley InNOut


He loved the park. And hated rain.

S7301227

IMG_0134


He was a sweet, good-natured dog who just loved being part of the pack.

100_0457


He'd stay up all night with Jamie while she worked on her doctorate. Three tough years made easier by greeting the dawn together.

S7300278.JPG


He traveled with us from Texas to Virginia to California.

He was always up for the journey. Always happy to be along for the ride.

Radley

DSC_0142


Even after cancer surgery, he was a happy dog.

shakespearerad


A loving dog.

RadleyUpClose


Mostly he loved Jamie and me.

S7301629

DSC_0179


Thank you, Radley. You were our best friend.

S7301590





If you knew Radley and would like to share you memories please leave your comment in the section below.

2 comments:

  1. I never met a dog who loved his owners more than Radley. You guys were incredibly fortunate to have him and he to have you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a special place in my heart for Radley and there is an emptiness knowing he is gone. These are words that come to mind when I think of him--kind, sweet, easy-going, and fantastic companion. We had our special moments when he could come to Grandma's house for a visit. He missed you terribly, but I think he got comfort from knowing that I loved him too. Thank you for sharing him with me. I will miss him.

    ReplyDelete