Monday, December 13, 2010

Close Call

Manco

What do you do when your hard drive decides it's going to become unreadable and your backup glitches out on you?

Besides panic.

Or cry to your Facebook friends.

Luckily, I've bought all my computers from the same place since the 80s:
Manco -- on Glenoaks Boulevard in Glendale, CA. And I haven't bought from them just because they were around the corner from me in Burbank. I bought my last Mac from them when I was living in Virginia. And took the time to ship them my old Mac so they could port my computer life over to the new one. Smooth and clean -- and fast.

Why do that when there's an Apple Store nearby?

The best reason is because they are fantastically kind and bright people. Les, Jerry and Margie treat you like family. But for those of you who don't do business based on warm and toasty feelings (and shame on you if you fall into that category!) there's an obvious practical reason.

For as long as you own your computer, you can call or email them for help. With anything.

You're having trouble opening your email? Call them.

iTunes suddenly can't find your 30,000 song library? Email them.

You foolishly decide to defrag your hard drive and it fritzes out during the process becoming completely unreadable? And the backup disk image you made of your drive just to be super-safe winds up having a glitch and it too is unreadable?

Email
and phone them. With repeated questions. Over the weekend even.

And Voila! Your hard drive and backup are resurrected. Disaster avoided.

They've saved my hardware, data and butt more times than I can count.

So there you have it -- two Big Reasons I've bought from Manco since
Flock of Seagulls was considered relevant.

What more do you need?

How about they know their stuff -- more so than the supposed Gurus at your local Apple Store.

Les turned my wife into a Mac convert, making her move from PC super-easy. He's like the
Rick Steves of the Mac World. He sat with her and showed her everything she needed to know to become an ex-PC-Pat and make the permanent move to MacLand. She loves her Mac now like it's her high-school sweetheart -- and would never buy a PC again. Or buy from anyone other than Manco.

My writing partner has given into my harping and is set to abandon his PC and buy the new MacAir. From Manco. And he doesn't even live in Los Angeles.

See. You don't have to live around the corner to buy from them. If you do live in Los Angeles, it's foolish to buy from anyone else. But the guys at Manco are there for their customers even if you don't live around the corner.

Of course, if you can't just drop by their offices, you'll be missing out on some seriously tasty food. Les, Jerry and Margie are serious foodies and usually have some majorly tasty snacks -- and they share freely!

Like I said, they treat their customers like family.

If you want more thumbs up endorsements, feel free to check out the comments at
yelp or insiderpages.

Now, I'm going to get back to work on my freshly restored Mac.

Thank you, Manco!

No comments:

Post a Comment